183. Tom & Jerry (Software Creations, Famicom, 1992)

Wow, we're on game # 183, which means I'm halfway to my goal of 366 new games played in 2020. I am about 20 days/games behind at this point, but I think it's still a pretty good achievement. Anyway, I went with something I know and enjoy for my halfway point: another Famicom platformer. This time it's Tom & Jerry. Remember Tom & Jerry? They're back. In licensed platformer form.

That is to say that Tom & Jerry is a platformer that largely does what we expect for a late-in-life Famicom game. Difficulty is generally lower than it would have been in the 80s, It's got that 90s brushed metal gradient on the text, and the game is beatable in a single sub-hour playthrough. Maybe it's just because they had tons of animation to reference, but the animation on main character Jerry is really good for a Famicom title. The jump is also nice and high.

Each world consists of a first level which is generally longer and more labarynthine. The second level is usually more linear (and more fun), then each world is capped with a short boss fight against Tom. Worlds are themed around different locations, but all of them are real world locales made interesting because of your small stature, and I'd be lying if I wasn't immediately reminded of Capcom's Rescue Rangers games, but the levels are generally very cute.

My only major gripe is that the main attack (throwing bubble gum) does not feel great and has a weird arc. I did appreciate that the arc changes if you are rising in the air, falling, or not jumping, so at least there is some subtlety. There is also falling damage, which feels out of place and overly punishing, but generally the levels are chock full of health pickups. You can also collect cheese nuggets for bonus points, or pick up ink to make you invisible (and functionally invulnerable) on a short timer . These ink pickups were at least once used with clever placement to encourage a streak, but generally the levels designs themselves were just ok.

4/5, a brisk Famicom platformer that looks great but doesn't nail the gameplay


Comments