80. Miracle Ropit's Adventure in 2100 (Micronics, Famicom, 1987)

Miracle Ropit's Adventure in 2100 was one of the earlier games that I added to my Famicom collection because it was a platformer that didn't come out in North America, and it was relatively cheap. I was excited to try the game out, and was even more excited by the decent jumping, as there is a little extra height to your jump if you jump while moving. It's no Mario, but for a 1987 platformer jump, it's better than most of its contemporaries. I was also intrigued when after taking a hit my robot character fell down to revel a small girl inside, which reminded me of yesterday's game (#79 Wolf Fang).

Unfortunately that is about all I found to enjoy in this game, as the levels are bland and tedious with a ton of enemies constantly spawning, and your piddly shot is only able to fire one bullet at a time, rendering you helpless if there are multiple enemies coming at you. If your character had some health or a even a higher rate of fire, the game would be much more enjoyable, but as it is, the levels of floating platforms above instant death pits just feels a tad too harsh, and that's without getting into bugs.

Multiple times in the game (usually when travelling through a door) my character would glitch through the world uncontrollably, sometimes dropping me into a pit. I was only able to get through the first level using liberal save states to avoid this glitching. It's a little entertaining to me that such a buggy game was released on the Famicom, but mostly it's just annoying.

2/5, some nice character movement, but the rest of the game is a mess.

Comments