57. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (Steel Crate Games, Playstation 4, 2016)

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is a multiplayer game where one player is trying to disarm a bomb that only they can see, where 1 or more other players have a bomb disarming manual that the defusing player cannot see. So the game is mostly about communication between the players.

The bomb itself has a variety of modules, with various rules that are designed to be very confusing if you don't have a manual. For example, with one bomb that I was disarming, there was a big red button that said "HOLD", but because the button was red, the actual correct instruction per the manual was to tap the button, immediately releasing it. Most of the instructions are presented with similar "if, then" clauses, which makes me wonder if any speedrunners out there have memorized the whole manual.

I disarmed a handful of bombs with my wife; we took turns giving instructions and disarming, though I quickly had an uncomfortable realization. My job involves a bit of tech support, and I am often talking with customers who are trying to get their machines to work, but I can't see their machine so I'm just going off of the manual that I have. Sound familiar? Basically, my job has prepared me for being a pro at giving instructions to operate machines that I can't see, which on one hand, made Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes easy, but also felt like work.

3/5, I think I would have had more fun if I had a different job.

Comments