52. Simple 2000 Vol. 5: The Block Kuzushi Hyper (Tamsoft, Playstation 2, 2002)

Simple 2000 Vol. 5: The Block Kuzushi Hyper is the sequel to game #49 The Block Kuzushi 2. Most of the things that I liked about The Block Kuzushi 2 are still present here, so I'll go over some differences:

The game is now in 3D, with an overhead perspective that is a little shallow for my tastes. I can't always tell exactly where the ball is headed, and that's kind of the point of the game. There seem to be a variety of unlockable paddles, and you can select from one of two paddle control styles. I preferred to use "slow" mode with the d-pad.

The best feature here is the ability to tilt the playfield to adjust the ball movement, giving you almost complete control, which is great for levels where you just have that one block left. This mechanic almost trivializes the game, to the point where it becomes relaxing. I could easily see myself zoning with this game the same way I do with Picross, where it's just a relaxing series of simple obstacles to overcome at my own pace. But I would have to listen to my own music, because the game has no music during gameplay, aside from some level start / clear fanfare, which makes the levels feel empty.

4/5, Tamsoft does it again, this time in 3D.

Comments