3. Super Variable Geo (TGL, Super Famicom, 1995)

This is a fighting game sequel to a fighting / hentai game, though this being the Nintendo console port, anything close to lewd has been removed.

Holy lord the intro rules. It's just a bunch of animated intros of the various characters but the whole vibe of it is very strong. I opened up the sound test menu and I'm just vibing with it. Lots of hot tunes in this one, it's inspiring.

The game is much more fluid than Unholy Night (see entry 2.) and the special moves are very easy to pull off. I only figured out to do to a hadouken-like move, at first but my character (Kaori) also had a lunging kick (QCB+K) that I didn't figure out until my mirror match which was the second to last. The AI was pretty easy to fireball cheese (I beat story mode and Kaori became an anime voice actress), but there is a solid fighting game here and I wish I was playing 2 players with someone of equal skill.

4/5, a good Super Famicom fighter with a heck of an intro

Comments