2. Unholy Night: The Darkness Hunter (Foxbat, Super Nintendo, 2017)

Sometimes your wife is on vacation and makes really good & strong cocktails and you just want to play a simple game that you think will be easy to assess. I asked her what kind of game I should play, expecting an esoteric answer like "something stupid" or "a pretty game". Instead I got "a fighting game" which I was more than happy to oblige. Surveying the console I had out and hooked up, we have: PlayStations 2 and 4, Analogue NT (NES / Famicom / Famicom Disk System), Super Nintendo, and Xbox One. Ooh I know, I'll pick that new SNES game I bought a while back and never touched.

*20 minutes later*

OK, so I chose Unholy Night: The Darkness Hunter, which was a Super Nintendo game released in 2017 by a team including ex-SNK team members with a gothic, vampire-hunter feel to it. Long story short, both my SNES and Super Famicom played the game, but only the audio and no visuals. After about 30 minutes of playing around with my Framemeister, I finally solved the problem by turning everything off and then on, and I was able to play this fine software title.

The game is very engrish-heavy. I chose Emily, the maid-like character (of course there's a maid) because the manual described her as speed-type. The game is pretty sluggish, but has super combos like a modern fighting game (good 'ol down forward down forward attack) and I feel like it's pretty easy to break the arcade mode by just spamming attack. Emily does a lot of attacks and chip damage is a real threat. There are only 2 attach buttons and as far as I can tell they do the same thing. I do like a simple fighting game, but this is just too much. Some of the music is kind of cool, but the game feels very thrown together. Emily's quote against herself: "What? Profession?" OK, the Emily vs. Emily mirror match was actually a lot of fun. The final boss was hard, but I did feel like I was getting better. Unfortunately the game only gives you 3 retries, so I did not end up beating this one.

3/5, a low-quality but interesting modern fighter on an old console

Comments